Sleep is the most essential way in with our bodies recover energy, heal, and develop. Yet, for the majority of us, sleep is treated as this sort of 'nuisance' and we only sleep because 'we need to'. Yes, you absolutely need to sleep, but most importantly, you need to ensure you're providing yourself with the most optimal sleep environment so you aren't losing out on significant benefits that comes from getting proper sleep. Not to mention, there are a lot of underlying costs you encounter as well.
Look at your mattress without the sheets on it, straight across the top of it at eye level
. If it's sagging in the middle areas significantly, that means you're not getting the support it was initially designed to give you. This means your spine might not be in alignment, or your body is getting too much pressure in certain areas. Consider ranking your comfort on your mattress from 1-10 and see how you truly feel about it.
2. Are your pillows brown stained from sweat and dirt. While this might not be a cause for immediate replacement, it is something to consider in terms of hygiene. Would you wear the same t-shirt for 3 years without washing it or replacing it? Check the label and wash it. Or if the sight of them bug you, just replace them. Consider waterproof pillow cases in the future to protect them.
3. Are your pillows evenly distributing their fullness, or are they compacted down and lopsided. This may be creating a scenario for poor neck support.
4. Drag your hand along your sheets. Do they feel anywhere remotely similar to when you first bought them. With age, fabrics deteriorate and they lose their initial luster, causing them to trap heat as well as feel rougher. Similar to how a t-shirt might look/feel after you've owned it a few years.
5. The space below your bedframe is a breeding ground for dust. If you haven't moved the bedframe to clean under it, chances are, you're inhaling dust, dirt, and dead skin, which can lead to allergy issues and breathing issues. If you have pets that sleep under the bed, this is even worse for them.
6. Is your bedframe squeaking and shifting when you go to lay down in it. Perhaps a good time to grab the screw driver and tighten up the screws or bolts. This will bring a lot of peace of mind and make your bed feel newer again.
7. Does moving around your mattress wake up your significant other? It's probably time to assess the situation. Spring mattress are most common for this attribute of movement being detected easily, but so can other mattresses, with time. Just one small bit of stress you or your partner don't need, is being woken in the middle of the night for no good reason. It can also disrupt sleep cycles, even when not woken completely.
8. Finding yourself or you and your significant other with no room to shift around and getting comfortable? Probably time for a larger mattress. Give yourself room to sleep and extend your limbs. You shouldn't have to feel like you're sleeping in a tube.
9. Are you not able to sleep with your blanket because its always too hot? Time to find a blanket or duvet that allows more breathability. If you're always battling hot/cold that means you're waking up or shifting unnecessarily, causing disruptions in your sleep, and possibly dehydrating yourself, making you want to always keep water at your bedside.
10. If you don't have a waterproof mattress cover, definitely grab one. They'll give you peace of mind keeping your mattress clean from sweat, dirt, messes, and other liquids, and protects your investment for when you choose to sell your mattress later on, so it always looks brand new.
11. Bedroom always cluttered with clothes and other items? Consider adding more storage options, so you can keep it more organized. You can't get good rest in the middle of total chaos.
12. Consider an bench at the foot of your bed if you don't any place to sit. This makes sitting much easier, and lets you do it without messing up the bed.
13. Is your room too bright to sleep? Or sun rises waking you up early? Get some black-out blinds, so you can sleep uninterrupted by the extra light.
At the end of the day, the main message we want to distribute here is giving more attention to your bedroom. Really analyze each element of it, and give it attention more frequently. You'll get better sleep, resulting in less stress. You'll get more proper sleep, resulting in less fatigue, aching, and soreness. And you'll get a deeper sleep, resulting in feeling more refreshed and energetic after each night. And, when you bring your friends over, you'll be proud to show them where you spend your nights to rest, and not keeping the door shut.
Shop for beds, mattresses, and more...